Pages

  • Home

Tuesday 6 October 2015 A conversation with Mikio Hasui

Image source: ZEIT online
I e-mailed Mikio Hasui because I wanted to ask him a few questions that would help the on-going of both my dissertation writing and practice. 

My e-mail:

Dear Mikio Hasui,

My name is Daria Buoninconti and I am a Graphic Design student at Leeds College of Art & Design. I am currently writing my dissertation and final course piece on the theme of "White & Negative Space".  

Your interview on Freunde von Freunden inspired me very much and I was wondering if you would be kind enough to help me by answering a few questions about your practice. 

1. As I have gathered from your interview, your current work revolves around the theme of fogs. How and why have you chosen this subject? How has it impacted your work so far? 
2. How does the use of negative space or white influence your photographic practice?
3. Has any artist or other creative personality particularly inspired your choices?
4. What is your and your work relationship with colour instead?
5. What did you intend to communicate through the Landscape White series?

I would be immensely grateful if you took the time to reply to my questionnaire, it would mean very much to me and my work. 

Kind regards,
Daria Buoninconti

His reply:

Dear Daria

Thank you for a email for me.

I can speak English but a little bit.

Some answer is good for you I`d like.

1 
I am living in NAGANO where is middle of japan.
There is very famous place of fog. 
Some early morning I can see beautiful fog in nature.
I think that fog inspire me what a life is.
We can not see the future of us. Like stay in the fog.

2
I used digital camera for this theme. not films.

3
I don’t have any artist who inspired my choices.

4
Sorry I can not understand this question.

5
A Life has a lot of worries and problem.
However its always hopeful there.
The most important thing is believe our future.
there is a beautiful landscape under the fog.



Hasui Mikio
mhasui@icloud.com

I am very pleased with the fact that Mr Mikio replied to me in only one day, but unfortunately, as you can see from above, he did not speak much English and could not understand all my questions. 

Post a Comment